500 Books is a web based programme for teachers to track their progress in reading 500 of the very best children’s books to their pupils in their first three years of school.
Teachers and children can browse, share and view:
- 500 ‘must read’ picture books, short stories and poems for young children
- books from over 220 different authors and poets
- a class and school ‘word count’ and ‘book count’
- their class awards for every 5O books shared
- recommendations for great reads from their school friends
Books can be chosen by types or themes, or children can visit the Author Tree for inspiration. Teachers may also choose to ‘Skill Match’ and link their teaching of phonic skills and sight word reading to any of the 500 real books.